Saturday, February 20, 2010

D'S ADVENTURE


Ian has told me that if I continue to blog about my friends, I soon won't have any left. Oh please, does he not  know how many friends I have? ... and anyway, I do try to keep their identity hidden although some of my friends are rather unique characters so those that know them can easily guess who I am talking about.  I did however get permission to share this story and I hope I can do it justice.

My friend D had not been feeling very well of late.  She had been experiencing bouts of dizziness and decided that she would go and get it seen to.  It's here that I have to mention that the city we live in has two hospitals.  They are both pretty old and outdated and we are all anxious for the brand new, state of the art hospital to open early next year.

D decided to walk (she doesn't drive) to the hospital to be seen at the emergency department.  Upon arrival at the hospital she discovered that the one she was at didn't have an emergency department.  The hospital with the emergency department was only a few blocks away but D was exhausted from all the walking she had done and didn't relish the thought of walking that little bit more and sitting in the emergency department for a few hours.

 "I think I'm having a stroke" she announced to the person at the front desk.  Seeing her limp arm and awkward gait, the person immediately called for an ambulance and D was driven the few blocks to the other hospital  where she bypassed all the other patients sitting in the waiting room and was tended to right away.  The dizziness she had been experiencing was caused by fluid in the inner ear, and apparently the jostling and bumping from the ride in the ambulance while lying prone fixed the problem. She was perfectly fine.

You are probably at this point wondering 'when does this story get funny?'   D suffered a stroke when she was just ten years old that left her paralyzed on one side of her body. (Okay, I know that's not funny) The fact that she used this to her advantage, creating panic all around her, to me was brilliant.  Well done D, well done.



1 comment: