Monday, April 30, 2012

HOW SWEET IT IS

I'm going to let you in on a little secret... I haven't eaten refined sugar in over two months... two months people... do you know how hard that is?   Well to be honest, after a couple of weeks of my sugar fast it wasn't that difficult but still...

Before you go thinking I am diabetic or something, I'm not,  I just decided one day that it was't good for me and I didn't want to have it anymore. When I do get a craving for something sweet I use maple syrup or honey (did you know it is the only food that will never go bad... unless of course you count McDonalds?).  Here are some of the surprising and not so surprising effects of my no refined sugar diet.


  1. I lost weight...not a ton but it was effortless. Win!
  2. I no longer need deodorant.  This was unexpected and don't ask me how I came to that conclusion because I can't remember.  As long as I wash first thing in the morning, I am odor free all day.
  3. My cuts and bruises heal faster.  That kind of makes me sound like a klutz which I am not..well maybe.
  4. While Ian has suffered from a couple of nasty colds, I have remained immune.
  5. I have more energy.

I wanted to make myself a sweet treat to have at Brittany's baby shower so I didn't feel left out while everyone else was enjoying the cookies and cake.  I made some maple caramel popcorn that was absolutely delicious and lucky you I am going to share the recipe.  There are only four ingredients and it is super simple to make.




MAPLE CARAMEL POPCORN

8-10 cups popped corn (about 1 cup un-popped) 
1/2 cup butter
1 cup pure maple syrup (medium - dark)
pinch of salt


Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Pop corn and put in large roasting dish.  In a medium saucepan bring maple syrup, butter, and salt to a boil.  Turn down heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Pour syrup mixture over popped corn, stirring until popcorn is evenly coated.  Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes stirring every ten minutes. Remove from oven and spread on a cookie sheet.  It will crisp up as it cools.  




3 comments:

  1. I have heard in the past that sugar is supposed to lower your immune system. Proof is in the pudding! Or lack thereof :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooooooooooo. Stop providing further witness to my need to change and raise my children differently.


    /sob

    ReplyDelete