Saturday, April 16, 2011

WHO DOES THAT?

This morning Brittany and I went in to town to run a few errands which basically means we went to Wal-mart ( a shocker I know to think that I would ever shop at Wal-mart).  As we waited in line for the shopper ahead of us to finish paying for her purchases, I pulled out my debit card in preparation to pay for the few items I had on the conveyer belt.  On the drive in to town, Brittany had given me a 20 dollar bill to pay me for some diapers I had picked up for her the day before and instead of putting it in my wallet, I just threw it into my purse.  There is a reason I am telling you all this because you see, as I pulled my wallet out of my purse, that 20 dollar bill fell out on to the floor where the lady ahead of me picked it up and instead of handing it to me she put it in her pocket!  At first I thought she was joking with me and gave a half laugh until I realized she was serious. To say I was shocked is an understatement. 

Me: "Excuse me, that's my twenty dollars you just picked up."

Her: "No it isn't."

Me: "Yes it is, it just fell out of my purse."

Brittany: "That's my mom's money."

I looked at the cashier for help but she just shrugged her shoulders and apologized that she hadn't seen any of it transpire.

Me:"I'd like my money back please!"

Her: "It's not yours, it's mine."

Me: "Are you serious? I can promise you that it's mine."

Her: "Does it have your name on it?"

Me: "What?...NO!, I don't go around writing my name on my money."

Her: "Then how can you prove it is yours?"

With that she turned and walked away. I stood there shocked (and ticked, I might add). Seriously who does that?  Brittany urged me to have security called but the woman was almost out the door already and really, how could I prove it was mine.  It was at this point that I realized that the woman had left behind one of her shopping bags, you know the kind that is reusable and is certainly distinguishable from the grey plastic bags that Wal-mart uses? Just as I finished paying for my stuff and with Brittany badgering me to do something about the situation, I saw the woman marching back toward the counter. Aha, she had realized that in her haste to get away she'd left her bag behind! Too bad for her.  I picked up her shopping bag and slung it over my shoulder.

Her: "That's my shopping bag you have there!"

Me: " Um...Does it have your name on it? 

Her: "NO!"

Me: "I didn't think so."

I left the store with a huge smile on my face.  I couldn't have cared less if her shopping bag contained 2 dollars worth of stuff or 200 dollars.  We hightailed it to the car and took off before anyone could call us back laughing the whole way and yes, I did keep the bag.

Now I know you are wondering what was in the bag but I haven't taken any pictures of the loot yet so it will have to wait until tomorrow.  For those of you whom I have talked to today and related this story, don't spoil it for the rest.  It really requires a picture to do it justice.





4 comments:

  1. I can understand if she didn't see that it had dropped out of her purse but clearly she decided to be very unchristlike and do the opposite.

    she did SO deserve that outcome.

    I want to know what she bought that was in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got at least $20 worth of stuff!

    I stole a bag of cat litter yesterday at No Frills and had to go all the way back into the store to pay for it. That was annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that people like this seem to orbit around you? I cannot believe this woman. I LOVE how this played out, and so keen to see what you scored. Oh man, that woman!!!

    ReplyDelete