Wednesday, March 31, 2010

AND I PAY INSURANCE WHY????

Despite the warm weather we have been experiencing, we still keep a fire going because the nights are still cold.  Last night, Ian took the ashes out and dumped them where he always does and never gave it a second thought.  Later in the evening when it got dark, I noticed a bright glow coming from outside my bedroom window.  I got up to investigate and discovered that the grass behind the garage was on fire.  I interrupted Ian's weekly conference call and told him to call the fire department.  I could tell this was a fire we were not going to be able to put out on our own and it was way too close to the garage for comfort.  Our cars could be moved out quickly but we have a friend who his storing most of his household belongings in the loft.  
We went outside but there was really nothing we could do.  We attached the hose to the outside faucet and realized that the water to it was shut off so the pipes didn't freeze and burst so I quickly remedied that problem.  It was too little too late.  Sitting next to the garage is my son and daughter in law's car we are keeping for them while they are in New Zealand and a very expensive hot dog cart.  Neither faired well and suffered quite a bit of damage.  The fire department was able to save the garage although we will have to replace some warped siding.  
Here's the clincher, our son and daughter in law's car is not covered under our insurance and because it wasn't  "in" the garage, we can't make a claim.  Daniel and Olivia removed the insurance they had on the car because they wouldn't be driving it. So now they are without a car when they come back.  They will have to try and take it up with our insurance company but since they are all the way in New Zealand, it will be difficult.  I have been on the phone all morning with our insurance company and I am frustrated to say the least.









I know it could have been a whole lot worse and I am most definitely grateful that no one was hurt, that our garage and house did not go up in flames, and that all  is well.  My daughter in law  should be thankful that April Fools only comes once a year.  





No comments:

Post a Comment