Friday, February 26, 2010

HIDDEN TALENTS




I never realized how talented the members of my church congregation were until last year when the  Activities Committee held a talent night.  There were a few of the expected performances of piano playing, singing etc from those that we knew to possess these talents.  It was the unexpected that made the evening so entertaining.
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  We follow a health code that includes not drinking alcohol and not smoking among other things.  With that in mind, you can imagine the horrified looks on the faces of the audience when a young woman brought her boyfriend to the festivities, guitar in hand, to perform "Whiskey Lullaby" (a song about a couple committing suicide by drinking themselves to death). She had not informed the organizer that she was even performing and was not on the program but he fit her in so as not to offend her.   I might add that this was a family event and there were a number of young children in the audience. There was some polite applause at the end of her song and then she announced they had another song to perform.  I heard my son mutter "I didn't hear anyone asking for an encore". I had to leave the room I was laughing so hard. 
The other highlight of the evening for me came when the emcee announced that "little Sarah(6) is going to show us her paintings".  I was sitting next to a little six year old girl and she turned to me, eyes wide, took a sharp intake of breath and exclaimed "oh!!!!!".  I thought at first she was surprised because she didn't realize that a talent could be showing your artwork.  Little Sarah held her paintings up for all to see and was thrilled with the applause that ensued.  The little girl sitting next to me let out a huge sigh of relief and revealed to me " I thought he said Sarah was going to show us her panties."  Again, I had to leave the room.

Next month, we will be holding a Talent Night again...  I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

  1. hahah funniest thing i have read in a loong time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had a talent night in our branch on Saturday night - I'm a little gutted. I so had a much cooler ending to my song planned. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete