Sunday, September 20, 2009

JUST CALL ME MARTHA




I was in what I like to call a Martha-esque mood when I made a cake for Daniel and Olivia's little mini reception. That basically means I was at my creative zenith , willing to spend ages fiddling with tiny little details. The result was awesome and the complements that followed went straight to my head. I was quite pleased with myself. My reason for this post is not to brag (okay, maybe a little) but rather to save me time in explaining how I created this masterpiece. After sending out three emails last week with directions (silly me didn't think to copy and paste) I thought I would just post the directions on my blog and direct enquiries here.
The cake is simple to put together but does require some time. Trust me, the adulation you receive will be welll worth it.

First, you will need to pick about 100 or so small leaves off a bush or tree. Leaves that look similar to those of a maple tree work best.
Wash and dry the leaves then paint the back of the leaves with melted coloured chocolate. I bought the merkins buttons at the bulk food store and spent $4.oo total on all the buttons and I had some left over.
I used my finger to spread it over the leaves (don't worry, I washed my hands thoroughly first). I put the leaves in the fridge to set and then carefully, and I mean carefully, pulled the leaves from the chocolate. Unfortunately, quite a few broke. I was able to hide some of the broken ones behind the good ones but alas, some just had to be eaten... ahem... I mean... discarded.
The acorns were made from caramels rolled into balls then flattened a bit on one end which was then dipped into a bit of melted chocolate and dipped again into little chocolate sprinkles.
I iced the cake with regular chocolate buttercream icing and then starting form the centre working out, layered the leaves.
I told you it was simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment