Wednesday, April 4, 2012

SORRY, WRONG NUMBER.

There is little hope for me surprising anyone on April Fool's Day.  It seems everyone I talk to is on high alert that day.  They know me too well.  I have pulled some good pranks over the years and I have even had a few played on me too.  This year Nathan and Emily put Saran Wrap across my bedroom doorway right at head level but I spotted it long before I walked into it.  Long story short, April Fool's Day went by without an incident.  It was thoroughly disappointing. I couldn't even think of a good prank to pull on you readers like last year's.
I cheered up though today when I finally got to pull a prank, even if it was on a complete stranger.
Emily got a text message on her phone but not having call display, she had no idea who it was from.  It asked if she needed picked up on Sunday.  I dictated a reply and she sent it.


We waited for a reply but none came.  About five minutes later her phone rings.
"You answer it" she pleaded "I just know it will be from the person that texted."
"So?" I replied .
"I won't be able to talk" she said so I picked it up and the conversation went something like this.

"Hello?"

"Is this Tamara?" (I could tell it was an older person)

"No this is Emily " (I wasn't taking the blame)

"Oh, I was trying to get a hold of my niece Tamara.  This isn't her number?"

"No, it's mine."

"Oh, I think I sent a text to your number a few minutes ago."

"That was you? I wasn't sure who had sent it."

"I'm er... I um... I'm so sorry about that.  I was just trying to message my niece.  I'm so sorry."

Emily is just about peeing her pants she's laughing so hard and I am trying to keep my voice from cracking.

"I thought you were my son-in-law trying to be funny."

"I don't know what to say,  I am just so sorry."

"It's quite alright, you didn't know."

We said goodbye and hung up.

So somewhere on Sunday, there will be a family enjoying an Easter Brunch together having a good laugh about poor Uncle Joe texting the wrong person causing distress for both parties.  So it was not such a bad thing I did after all.  Now they have a funny story to tell at family gatherings because I'm evil nice like that.

1 comment: